Spitting up is a common thing in many babies including the healthy ones. In fact about half of all babies experience their stomach content coming back and they tend to spit often. This condition is usually known as gastroesophageal reflux.
If your baby is spitting up very often, do not be worried because you are not alone. The common causes of spitting up and gas in children are swallowing of air along with breast milk or formula and overfeeding. Regular spitting up by kids can also be a result of specific conditions like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and pyloric stenosis which is a stomach problem that may require surgery to get rid of it.
Spit up are common among babies within a few months of birth. If your baby frequently spits up, it shouldn’t give you great concern, so long as she is comfortable and adding weight, there is the possibility that she will spit-up. According to experts, some newborns may spit up to 20 times a day.
Spit up in babies are as a result of immature digestive tracts. As soon as she starts walking the condition would be corrected. The condition is generally regarded as reflux.
In order to control the rate your baby spit up, experts advised that new moms should offer the best formula for spit up or smaller amounts of breast milk frequently. In addition, your baby should be positioned upright for at least 20 minutes after nursing. Also, the diapers should not be too tight.
5 Best Formula for Spit up and Gas – Quick List
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API Details
When Spitting Up Is More Than A Mess?
When your baby experiences reflux and it becomes pretty difficult for her to gain weight or lose weight, there are signs you should look out for to really know whether the reflux is causing a problem. The following are some of the signs to look out for;
- Your baby is often irritable or fussy
- Your baby frequently chokes
- Breathing difficulty
- Your baby often rejects food
- Your baby arches her back while feeding
- Your baby has a serious cough
- Cries or has a hoarse voice
In addition to the symptoms listed above, if your baby is spitting up more often and develops any of these symptoms, then gastroesophageal reflux may be suspected. You should take her to the hospital for further examination by a medical practitioner.
Changing Formula for Reflux
Formula change for reflux is highly recommended when your baby is experiencing severe acid reflux. More often than not, baby formulas contain cow milk and iron. Acid reflux is triggered by a protein found in cow milk. Hence, the need to nurse your baby with alternative formulas. Some of the alternative formulas to consider are hydrolyzed protein formulas, Soy milk formulas, and specialized formulas.New Post: Best Nursing Pajamas and Best Nursing Tops & Tanks
DIY Tricks to Help Prevent Spit-up & Gas
In order to prevent these, you may consider trying some of the following simple tips to help get his food down in the stomach;
- Hold the baby in an upright position when nursing him
- Keep feedings calm by ensuring there are no distractions like noise and ensuring the baby is not too hungry before you breastfeed him. These are some of the things that will make the baby swallow air while feeding.
- When using a baby bottle to feed, make sure the nipple is not too small to frustrate the baby making him swallow air in the process.
- Burp the baby after feeding him and during intervals when they take a pose during a feeding
- Avoid putting on tight clothes on the baby; these are likely to pressure his tummy hence making him spit up more regularly.
- Avoid overfeeding the baby
- Avoid eating some diets that may make the baby spit up after breastfeeding. You may discuss this with your doctor to know
- Elevate the baby’s head if he spits while sleeping. However, you should not allow the baby to sleep on a pillow for long.
Seek Medical Intervention in Case of a Serious Spit Up
If you realize that the baby is spitting up too much that they are not adding any weight, it is important to speak to your doctor. If the baby continues to spit up for long without adding weight, it could be a sign of something serious like GERD or pyloric stenosis which is characterized by projectile vomiting of the baby. This is a stomach condition that results in the thickening of the muscles at the bottom of the stomach preventing food from flowing into the small intestine. This condition mostly affects babies about the age of 1 month.
On the other hand, too much gas for the baby might make him quite uncomfortable throughout the day. Some of the common signs that your baby has gas include the baby having a hard tummy, farting frequently, being fussy and crying most of the time.
The bottom line of all these is simple; any mom whose baby is suffering from either excessive spit up or gas must be desperate to know the solution. That brings us to some of the best formulas for spit and gas in babies together with the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Top 5 Best Formula for Spit Up & Gas in 2020Enfamil Premium infant formula is considered to be a good alternative to the Similac meant to reduce gas in babies. It is a reduced-lactose milk-based formula with about 20% of the lactose of regular formula. According to many reviews from moms that have used the formula before, they say that it is less the same as the Similac sensitive. In case your baby does not agree with it, you could have a better alternative in this one instead of switching to soy-based formulas.
- It has a unique triple health guard with 30 nutrients to boost growth in infants
- It is easy to digest and faster to help
- It also contains crucial minerals and vitamins that support immune health
- The ingredients of the formula are not genetically modified
- It is relatively affordable as compared to the Similac Sensitive infant formula with iron
- It is relatively similar to breast milk
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API DetailsEnfamil Nutramigen is another baby formula formulated without sucrose, which is a type of sugar that is difficult for some babies to digest. The formula is good for babies with allergies especially allergies with cow milk and soy milk formulas.
According to many women, the formula has received a remarkable rating as the best formula for spit and gas in babies.
- It helps to reduce future allergy challenges
- Helps babies to return to consuming milk protein without experiencing allergies
- The formula also features a variety of vitamins and nutrients designed to ensure babies with a sensitivity to milk, breakdown milk proteins with ease.
- It offers a faster relief with fewer allergy challenges
- Despite the main benefits, many mothers don’t seem to like the formula’s smell. Despite the fact that all other formulas have their smell, this one has a really strong one. It, therefore, means that if your baby is turned off by adverse odors, then this might not be the right choice for them. This may however never hinder the effectiveness of the formula when serving as the best baby formula for spit up and gas.
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API DetailsGerber is another effective brand well known to many moms as the best formula for spit-up and gas. The formula contains probiotic L. reuteri that has been clinically proven to reduce crying time by 50% in colicky-fed newborns.
The added probiotic is also aiding in your baby’s digestive system reducing gas to be expelled leaving the baby happier and playful all day long
Other crucial components of the formula are proteins that can be easily digested by the babies than the proteins found in most of the baby formulas in the market. Vitamins and other crucial nutrients in the formula make it easy for the baby to ingest, keep down and also make it an extremely healthy option
- Not made with genetically modified ingredients hence they are safe for use by the newborns
- Contains proteins are easily digestible with some carbohydrate blend that helps to reduce gas and fussiness
- Contains DHA that is crucial for your baby’s brain and eye development
- When using the formula for the first time, it is a little bit tricky to mix. This has been echoed by other moms and parents who got it wrong during their first mixing. However, it becomes easy and easier as you get used to it.
- SOOTHING NUTRITION: Modeled after...
- PROBIOTIC FORMULA: Good Start...
- GIVE YOUR BABY A GOOD START: Your...
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API DetailsSimilac sensitive infant formula is the best formula for gas. It is a milk-based formula however it doesn’t contain lactose which makes it much easier for the babies to digest.
According to reviews by many of the moms that have used this formula, they have recommended it to be the best infant formula for gas. It does work really well for a majority of the babies suffering from gas. Its effectiveness can be attributed to the special type of carbohydrate in the formula meant to reduce fussiness and gas.
This formula is also said to help reduce the frequency of spit-up in healthy infants. In other words, you can consider it is the best formula for spit-up and gas.
- The formula’s ingredients are not genetically engineered
- Contains special nutrients found in breast milk alongside DHA, Lutein and vitamin E to support the baby’s cognitive functions
- Helps to reduce both gas and frequency of spit-up in healthy infants
- It is good for babies experiencing food allergies and colic symptoms
- It is a bit expensive compared to other formulas
- Similac is the first leading infant...
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula is...
- NUTRIENTS: Features OptiGRO, our...
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API DetailsProSobee soy infant formula is ideal for the babies that do not like lactose at all since it is lactose-free. This is an example of the soy-based alternatives you may use in case your baby has allergies to milk thus reducing the amount of gas experienced by your baby.
Since the debate that has been doing round to find out which soy-based formula is the best has not concluded, the facts from many moms are that the formulas are just about the same. I.e between Similac and Enfamil. However, some babies have indicated to do better with one formula than the other.
The bottom line of this is that getting the best baby formula for spit up and gas is to try about all the highly-rated formulas as you observe which has better positive results on your baby
- The formula is lactose-free hence good for babies with cow’s milk allergies
- Effective in reducing gas in the stomach
- The formula is usually pre-mixed saving you a lot of time and effort
- It is expensive just like all other soy-based formulas that are usually harder to make
- Contains 4 22 ounce containers of...
- Enfamil ProSobee baby formula is a...
- Helps reduce fussiness, baby gas,...
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API Details
How To Choose The Best Formula For Spit-Up And Gas
With the many baby formula brands hitting the market, many new moms get pretty confused deciding which baby formula to choose for their infants.
It is well known by every mom that breastfeeding is the first choice of feeding babies. However, due to some reasons, some moms are not able to do the same while others decide not to without any reason. Manufactured baby formulas are quite ideal and the best option for breast milk, but which one is the best considering the variety provided in the market? Or do you simply choose any and you are good to go?
If your baby is suffering from excessive gas or frequenting spitting, constipation, and diarrhea, your choice of baby formula will actually have to be keenly considered. It may even take the intervention of a doctor to recommend the right baby formula especially when they are suffering from serious stomach complications.
The primary point to note however is that all infant-formulas are manufactured to mimic breast milk but will never be equal or same. The formulas are therefore designed in a way that they will supply the baby with all necessary needs for normal growth and development till they turn 1 year when you can start feeding them with cow’s milk.
The amount of formula you are supposed to feed your baby should be 25-30 ounces per day and increase progressively as the baby grows. When solid food will be introduced, the quantity will also decline.
Let’s have a look at some of the factors to consider when choosing best formula for spit up and gas
Most of the available infant formulas available in the market today are either in powder form, concentrated liquid or in form of ready feeds.
Another thing to also bear in mind is that the Food and Drug Administration regulates infant formula hence the need to look for the formulas that meet the minimum standards set out for nutrient requirements.
Although many people consider the price to be a major factor when purchasing infant formulas, some brands that are known to be cheaper have been reported to cause stomach upsets in children as a result of a different mix of ingredients
What are the kinds of additives included in the formula? Most formulas include the standard additives like DHA and ARA which are essential fatty acids that are crucial for eye and brain development. Other crucial additives that must be included in any of the best formulae for spit up and best formula for gas include iron, probiotics, and prebiotics. Unless your pediatrician says otherwise, any infant formula you buy should be fortified with iron and contain the probiotics and prebiotics that help with the digestion of the newborns.
4. Types of formula
The market is saturated with different types of baby formulas to choose from. Sometimes, this is the hardest decision to make considering the fact that all types have their own benefits. Some of the available types include;
- Soy-based- these for the infants that are allergic to cow’s milk protein
- Special formulas that are meant for manufacturing the best formula for spit up and best formula for gas, diarrhea, and colic
- Organic formulas
- Cow’s milk-based
- Specialty formulas for pre-term and infants born with underweight cases
As mentioned, each formula is good in its own way but to tell which the best is all a matter of trial and error. However, you need to talk with your pediatrician and seek guide guidance in case you encounter any problem.
It is always advisable to stick to your brand rather than switching from one brand to the other merely because of marketing gimmicks.
5. Nutritional differences
Due to the FDA regulations, most baby formulas in the market have similar nutritional content. However, each brand has different types of fats, carbohydrates and protein sources making the difference from one brand to the other.
Is your baby spitting up often and you are beginning to get worried? Aside from the DIY tips highlighted above on how to prevent spit up and gas in children, choosing the best formula for spit up and gas would be the most ideal solution to the problem. Because there are literally hundreds if not thousands of baby formulas in the market today, you need to be very keen when purchasing one. first, know your baby very well to a point you will know what they enjoy most then consider the crucial factors like nutritional composition of the formula, type of formula best for your baby (soy-based, lactose-free, cow’s milk-based, organic or specialty formula for infants with underweight cases), additives added in the formula, form, standardization and not forgetting the cost.